Sunday 31 May 2020

Keeping a journal is important

to me. If I hadn't started keeping a journal shortly after the daughter was born, I wouldn't have all the resources that allow me to rediscover the memories of the past 45+ years.

Today, I mainly be writing to keep myself on an even keel during the dark days of grieving that have been exacerbated by the Covid 19 pandemic.







Although I'm trying to build a new normal, I'm also keen to salvage as much of the old normal as possible. A large part of this is to continue cooking fresh, tasty, nutritional, meals for myself.  Now that the conservatory is more of a 'sun-room', I have set up a table for one and use it for meals, instead of eating from a tray in front of the TV.












One thing I have changed, when it comes to meals, is the timing of the main meal of the day. I have always preferred eating it in the middle of the day. One of the reasons is that my energy levels flag in the afternoon and I often don't feel like cooking anything. The main meal at mid-day(ish) is now a firm fixture at weekends. It began with Sunday lunch at Easter. Ocado is delivering lovely Welsh lamb chops that I roast with potatoes and carrots, on a bed of rosemary, with olive oil and garlic.





Today is Whit Sunday, when a meal like this is a favourite (of mine and Eamonn's) but it calls out for a glass of wine. As I'm not coping too well with alcohol any more, I have substituted lime juice and tonic, or a non-alcoholic Hugo. These make refreshing summer accompaniments in the warmer weather.

I miss eating with my life-long companion, so I have started listening to Classic FM or one of my books on Audible as I eat. The garden view is lovely this summer, and the light in the room is wonderful. I am keeping everything crossed that the replacement of some of the glass with solid panels will make it easier to heat in the cold weather.







There are other 'activities' that require my companion, such as walking the dog. But that's a story for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment