Thursday 5 August 2021

Mindful walking

 


I was talking to a friend earlier this afternoon how being in the garden lends itself naturally to mindfulness. So does walking alone with the dog.

I took Alf for a short 30 minute walk this morning  along the footpath that leads uphill to Wymondley Wood.






It was overcast and felt very humid, so I avoided the hill and strolled the 1/2 mile towards Willian Road. All along the ditch at the right-hand side of the path, there are Giant Hogweed plants. Most  towered over me, and all were setting seeds.

I'm always careful not to touch the stems as they can cause severe blisters.











I'm not very fond of mid-summer. Everything looks very blousey and unkempt. I prefer Spring when life is beginning to appear, and Autumn - season of mists and fruitfulness. 

Unlike the Hogweed, some plants are still in flower, attracting the bees and other pollinators, 










so I must be patient and wait for the end of August when growth begins to die down, and the berries become ripe.


The brambles in the hedgerow are flowering (unlike the one in my garden) and ripe fruits are not far away.

My raspberry bush is flowering so I hope for some berries from the garden.






Alf had a lovely time, although, by the end of 30 minutes he was panting. 


His recall on home territory remains good. There was one episode at the bottom of the turning for the hill up to Wymondley Wood where he caught the scent of something very interesting. 

I put him on his lead, which he didn't mind, and we finished our walk without incident.






I used to hate walking alone and missed my conversations with Eamonn. I realise now that I am aware of much more and notice things I would e otherwise miss with a companion.






No comments:

Post a Comment