Friday 10 September 2021

Into Autumn



This morning, I decided to head to Wymondley Woods to see if there were any blackberries left on the bushes. There were lots more than when I last went foraging, two weeks ago.It is very "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness", already.













Alf was very happy to be out and about with me. We met a lot of nice canine members of the community, and Alf had great fun. He got very bored if I stayed too long chatting to the 'hooman' carers, but did his best to help with the foraging.

















This mainly involved him eating of whatever fell from the bush as I was picking the largest, juciest, blackberries. By the time we entered the woodland at the top of the hill, I had a good harvest from many of the bushes along the footpath. 



















I was feeling in need of a boost to my blood sugar, so made my way to the first bench in the wood, where I ate the banana I'd packed and had a drink. 

Alf was sated on blackberries and refused my offer to share my banana.















He was keen to get going again. I'd noticed some rabbit droppings on the path through the wood, so kept tight control of how far he strayed into the undergrowth.





It wasn't until we reached the exit to the footpath that would take us home that I was able to relax a little. 

As we neared the bottom of the hill, Alf took great interest in  the drainage ditch and tried to explore every animal track down to the water. I played safe and put him back on lead until we reached the car.




I was astonished to see that we'd been out for over an hour. I thoroughly enjoyed it - even the climb up the hill. It was a little humid so I was a bit sweaty, but there was no breathlessness or fatigue.

Back home, I'd already planned to make some vegetable soup. Autumnal cooking traditionally involves soup and crumble making.

I think I don't have enough apples to make apple and blackberry, this time it's going to be blackberry and apple.



No comments:

Post a Comment