Tuesday 21 December 2021

Winter Solstice Tea

 

 




I had a lovely day today, culminating in a festive tea with friends, in the Garden Room.

There were savoury snacks, a bottle of Valdo Oro Puro Prosecco, and sweet treats, accompanied by much talk, laughter, and friendship.

I read both Solstice poems and we exhanged gifts and hugs as we bade each other a happy Christmas and healthy New Year,






The Garden Room is a lovely, big room, easily aired (especially when Alf demands to go out to kill the birds and squirrel who dare invade his territory).







Before this, I had a visit from another friend who had decided not to stay for tea as she had been in London at the weekend celebrating her Golden Anniversary. My friends are so thoughtful and take care that I am not put at unnecessary risk.

Earlier in the day, I went into town to purchase a joint of pork for Boxing Day, which I am spending with friends. The town was quiet and I didn't have to queue at the butcher's in Market Square. 

There was a trumpeter entertaining shoppers with some very accomplished jazzy versions of Christmas Carols. I marvelled at how he kept his trumpet in tune in the cold, damp weather.








This evening, I lit the yule fire and settled down for some seasonal viewing, after a dinner of boeuf bourguignon and rice, courtesy of Mr Waitrose's Christmas delivery.







My table is groaning under the weight of cards and presents I have received so far. I suspect that there will be no more cards delivered before Christmas, due to staff shortage. 




Welcome Yule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment