Monday 30 July 2012

The best things in life are free.

I'm sure it was one of those nights

when the Queen would rather have been tucked up in the comfort of her own bed with a mug of cocoa and a good book.

Instead, she endured over three hours of modern PC culture depicting a nation of which she is the Head of State. At times she looked positively bored and rarely smiled. It was past midnight when she delivered her opening speech - one sentence

"I declare open the Games of London, celebrating the 30th Olympiad of the modern era."




Both she and Prince Phillip looked tired and uncomfortable, understandable for a couple who are 86 and 90 years old respectively.

I have always admired the Royal Family for their dedication to duty and regularly give thanks that I am able to have a 'duvet day' when I choose. I would not have the Queen's role for all the wealth, priviledge, status, and influence that goes with it.

Freedom to choose one's daily routine is something money can't buy.