Monday 21 April 2014

Pan's Labyrinth - was it worth struggling to read the sub-titles for hours?



No it wasn't

On the same altar of High Fantasy as The Lord of The Rings? I think not, Finknoffle.

Instead of a reality and a fantasy that intertwine and comment on each other, we have two fantasies that are like ships that pass in the night. 




I was beginning to think I was the only one who found nothing remarkable in this film. Then I found this review, by Travis Mackenzie Hoover, which sums up my thoughts so well that I need not bother going into any more detail.

Suffice to say, I was expecting something like a cross between Alice and Narnia but, apart from one short scene where the heroine looks very Alice-like as she squeezes through the inadequately-size door she has created, there was nothing to engage the mind in the same way.