Friday 22 January 2021

Slow cooking without power (mostly)

 I foresee a period of experimental cooking on the immediate horizon.

Mr D's Slowcooker was delivered this morning. It's very compact and not very heavy at all. I intend to familiarise myself with its use before I go away in April. I'll start with meals for two people (or more) as I have the facilities for chilling and/or freezing the extra portions. The cooker works on the premise that the bottom pot is 80% full, which won't be the case when catering for myself.  I'll have a go at cooking smaller meals by using the top, inner pot, to provide the heat. 






I've started a collection of recipes that I've used in the past, so that I can try them out in Mr D's Pot. I'm very fond of the Pork Chops Hirino Psito and have all the ingredients I need, apart from the beer.








There are a few recipes that make use of canned soup that I've used many times on the boat. Chicken is the main ingredient, but it can be substituted with pork or turkey.

Mr D's pot came with its own recipe book, so I will also try some of those, too.


I foresee that part of the problem in Levant II will be finding the space to carry the ingredients that are in my larder. Smaller containers for herbs, spices, and liquids will be needed, as well as a secure, accessible, storage place. I think I might make use of some of these that are already aboard. They're pots that hang from the pelmet that goes all around the interior. Each one could easily manage 3 or 4 herb pots.



No comments:

Post a Comment