Friday 23 April 2021

The garden

 





is really putting on a show as we near the end of April. The bulbs planted in the autumn are in full flower. The white Allium is more upright as the flowers form a lacy cluster.











The Forget-me-nots and alium are forming a patch of blue and white towards the back of the South-facing border.





The border will soon be full of Spring and Summer flowering bulbs. Next week I will be planting some sunflowers and Sweet Peas bought from the Garden Centre as the ones I grew from seed are not thriving.







At the front of the border, the Wild Strawberry has begun to flower after it was transplanted into the Strawberry barrel.












In the opposite border, the surviving CAlifornian Lilac has put out buds. I'm not sure if they are frost damaged or if this is the normal colour before the blue flowers emerge.












Behind the Arbour Seat, a plant that my gardener though was a member of the cabbage family is in flower. It's Rapeseed, a bright-yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family). It may not be there long, as my lungs react to the scent.







The garden needs rain. I have resorted to watering the plants most in need (in pots) from the rain barrel. I have a memory of it running dry at times, last year. Although I am going to be away only  a few days in May and June, I am worried about coming back to wilting flowers and vegetables. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment