Monday 10 May 2021

New Layout

 


After the April trip, I emptied the van and played with various layouts that would maximise comfort and useability.

I've kept the 'cross bed' idea but plan to use it as the head of the single bunk behind the driver's seat.

The red sleeping bag forms a mattress on top of the bench cushions.



The part behind the passenger seat is for Alfie, as he likes sleeping close to me in the van. The middle section is to allow me to sleep on my side without falling off the narrow bunk. The remainder of my bunk is just wide enough for my legs and is longer than the cross-bed. I'm hoping for more restful sleep.






I toyed with the idea of reinstating the Romahome's table, which attatches to a bar below the window, but decided it took too much space off the gangway. I've kept my home-made coffee table , beside the sink where there is now a viable seating area.

The worksurface beside the sink makes a useful space for the serving tray, freeing space on the table for a meal and drink.












Opposite this, the work-surface beside the hob makes a lovely little cafe table for morning or afternoon tea.

This is my favourite seating area for reading, knitting, listening to the radio and other relaxation. The seat opposite is a convenient footstool.











Both the hob and fridge are working perfectly, thanks to various people's help and advice. The fridge's front panel was very scuffed but, rather than replace it, I've covered it with tickers to remind me why I love Levant II.











Opposite the 'galley', the sink/toilet area is now working efficiently. I have a very small bowl in which to do the washing up (the Eberspacher now produces heat and hot water) , and an 8 litre filter tank for drinking water.

Below the sink is the porta Potti. The sink can be stowed in the drain in the bulkhead, the door beneath  opens to form a toilet booth.







 The one thing I lack, is an onboard shower. I'm thinking of getting a portable battery-driven (rechargeable) shower. The pump goes in a bucket (warm water courtesy of Mr Eberspacher) and the shower head hangs inside the Skadu. The Skadu can be made into a tent by adding the corner poles and side panels provided with the purchase.

For the time being, an all-over-wash in a bowl will suffice. I may need the portable shower in the Autumn, or I could just use the site's facilities.




I'm pleased with the reshuffle. I'm re-packing slowly, ticking every item off the packing list as it goes into its reserved place inside the van.







The plan is to pack light . I took far too much to Wolverley. I forgot my new second home isn''t a 45ft x 7ft  narrowboat that I was cruising for a few weeks. My little home-from-home is only 15ft x 5.5ft, and I will be away for only a few days at a time.  Less is more they say.





I have kept decoration to a minimum. What signs I have are to motivate me throughout my trips.

One of my plans for the future, is to open a mobile Bereavement Cafe. I'm hoping there will be the opportunity to put my vetting and training with the Good Grief Trust to champion the organisation and offer support to bereaved campervanners over a cuppa. 

I'm also hopeful that I will meet like-minded female solo campers and form new friendships on my travels.




No comments:

Post a Comment