Friday 18 June 2021

Extreme Opposites - First, the Wall of Heat

 The trip to Hertford Camping and Caravan Site was challenging for a number of reasons.


First came the heat, which was at its worst (29 degrees) on Wednesday. I arrived just after 1pm on Tuesday, and the sun was still climbing. I made the mistake of setting up fully before having lunch. By the time I'd hooked up the EHU cable, pinned out the groundsheet, and put up the Skadu, I was feeling sick. I forgot to put the roof up, to get air into the van and had to take the Skadu down again to do it.





There was extra shade courtesy of one of the many trees, but, even so, I felt too sick too eat much. Part of my problem was dehydration and I was more concerned with drinking. I was glad I had cut, washed, and packed some lettuce. All I wanted was a little salad and some fruit.

I knew then that I had done too much and needed to rehydrate and rest. 







Alf had been out with The Dog Pack earlier in the day. He slept on his bed for the 35 minute journey. When we arrived, he slept on. He was tired and the heat was getting to him.


Later in the trip, he discovered that the coolest place was underneath the van - particularly the spot where I'd opened the waste water tank tap. The sink was refusing to drain, so I thought the tank might be full. It wasn't, but there was enough sink water in it to make the grass underneath the van very damp and cool.






I sat in the shade of the Skadu during the afternoon and drank almost all my supply of lime juice and tonic water. I began to feel a little better but decided not to push my luck.

I had decaf tea after lunch, avoided all strenuous activities, and waited until the sun began to drop before walking Alf. We didn't walk for long. I had palpitations and was feeling wobbly and sick again.





I was moored beside another Small camper that had a Skadu over the rear door. Dee was using long poles at the back to provide more usable space under the awning.




Alf and I had a quick exploration of our section of the campsite. There was an amenities block (showers, loos, dishwashing room, laundry etc) nearby, but no rubbish bins. The resident wildlife had vandalised those that had been placed around the site, so the main bins were quite a distance away at Reception.



I searched the amenities block for the NHS Covid code to scan in the app. I didn't find it, but did find an interesting piece of history. In 2001, the CCC celebrated its centenary by planting 100 trees on various campsites. One of the chosen sites was Hertford.

The Small Motorhome group was pitched on one side of the trees, beside the amenities block.








I watched the temperature cooling inside the van, dropping off to sleep with the rear door open, at about 8pm. The van was benefitting from the shade of the Skadu and one of those 100 trees.






When I woke, it was still 23 degrees but was time to close and lock the door. I set the side windows open, with a towel thrown over the pane for extra shade. Flyscreens prevented an incursion of bugs, but allowed the meagre breeze to blow through.

The view from the Port side of Levant II - here be rabbits.



It was a humid, sticky night; one in which I woke frequently for a trip to the loo, thanks to all the liquid I'd consumed. I was dreading the following day, which was forecast to be even hotter. My plans for joining the group's activities were put on hold until I saw what the weather would bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment